Monday, April 10, 2017

Boston Bound?!


First of all, YES it has been a loooonnnngg time since I've posted anything. For legal reasons, I am limited in what I am able to share.  Soon I hope to share much of what has been going on.  Until then, with Boston just around the corner, here's a little bit of my "marathon training" journey the past few months...



When people find out I'm running the Boston marathon, they naturally assume that I am this "serious" runner.  I am always quick to say that "I don't consider myself much of a runner and I have no clue what I'm doing!" TRUE story.  Not denying that I CAN run, it's just not my primary sport...I probably consider myself primarily a triathlete--what indecisive people "decide" because it's 3 sports, not one ;) 


Anyway...Preparing for this season of marathon training was a challenge.  I have VERY little experience planning a season of “running only” training.  The only marathon (click here) I’ve done was about 8 weeks of training---which I basically just tacked on the end of half-ironman training season when I was already running about 15 miles on long days. BUT knowing that I would be running on one of the most inspiring stages running has to offer: the BOSTON marathon, my desire to plan a successful training cycle was fueled even more. 

After taking about a month off of training at the conclusion of Ironman training/racing (still somewhat active, but nothing formal or “Garmin necessary”), I started to think about marathon training.  For a few weeks I just thought…Thought about how long my cycle should be, how many days a week, what my goal paces should be, what mileage should I start and peak at, etc.  I also decided to try out a slightly more supportive shoe (New Balance 860) for long runs-while still using my Mizuno Wave Inspire's for fast intervals as well as racing. Both have a 10mm heel to toe drop and both are supportive for overpronators like me.  The Mizuno's are just more lightweight and less cushion (I order multiple pairs at a time!). 


Next, I sat down and pulled together a few resources.  My main resources included a Hal Higdon training plan and “Hanson’s Marathon Method.”  My original plan was to do a 16 week training plan after a four week period of “base building” at 20-25 miles a week.  

BUUUTTTT….

Then my doctor told me that after months of trying non-surgical alternative treatments, shoulder surgery was going to be needed after all.

Sooooo….

 EVERYTHING went “on hold.”  Besides stressing out to the max, I started preparing for surgery in every possible way.  How you might ask?  Well, I took out all my loose/tube top/stretchy clothing and had it all folded in piles by my bed (easy to get without opening/closing drawers) and put away clothing that I would not be wearing for awhile.  I also laid things out on the bathroom counter top (again, the less to open, move, etc. the BETTER after surgery).  Yes my mom would have to dress me anyway, but at least it didn’t take long to find what I needed.  Other than those little logistical things, I ran some errands and wrote some letters too--since my writing hand would be on "vacay." 

My motto was, “hope for the best, plan for the worst.” 

Going into surgery I had to give up my plan to run Boston. (Hence the ? in the title) Yes, it was hard, but sometimes life is hard. I could throw a “woe is me” pity party or I could deal with the reality in front of me with a positive attitude.  I didn’t know how long I wouldn’t be cleared to run…but that was not priority.  Healing was the priority. 

My marathon "training" had begun laying in a hospital bed throwing up...



BUT within a week of surgery I was going to the gym (sling and all), walked on the treadmill, biked, and did squats.  I wanted to keep my legs strong so they would be able to run when I was cleared to.  Honestly knowing that Boston was still even a small possibility kept me motivated to work hard towards healing.  Annnd eventually...

“I’d be ok if you went out and tried to run a mile and see how it feels…”

YIPPPPEEEEEE!!!

(I got home from that appointment and put on my running shoes ASAP!  One mile is basically the same as SIX right?! Still not great at the whole “moderation” thing!)




My shoulder was a little sore at first...not in pain at all, just a general ache.  Boston was BACK on the table.  Yes, it would not be the complete training cycle I had planned or hoped for, but I didn’t care.  I was not going to injure myself by trying to make up for lost time.  But then came the challenge of “sooo now where do I start and how do I work with this shortened timeline?” 

The first few weeks I just tried to build my base back again.  I was running about 25-30 miles a week before surgery, so I pretty much jumped back in at this mileage.  My body has a long history of activity/running, so it was able to handle this "jumping into training again" quickly.  HOWEVER, I was EXTREMELY careful to sense if my body needed a break.  The MAIN goal was to make it to Boston HEALTHY, not injured. 

I've trained enough to know (and have learned the hard way enough) that you start to put yourself at risk for injuries when you increase mileage AND intensity.  Both need to be increased at a slow pace.  Since my training time frame was now MUCH more limited, l determined that I was still going to increase my mileage pretty quickly, BUT as a result, my intensity (hill/speed) training would have to be limited more than I would have hoped.  This is life and this is how you adjust...Things don't (and rarely do) go as planned...

In the first few weeks I had a 6 day run, 1 day rest pattern...but soon it was evident to me that I needed a 5 day run, 2 day rest pattern (one of these rest days was an easy cycle day). 

For past triathlon training/running training, I have found this basic format to work well for me (not that I've really tried much else):

Monday: Speed Interval/Tempo run(treadmill)
Tuesday: Easy run
Wednesday: Hill run (treadmill)
Thursday: Easy cycle
Friday: Easy or Pace run 
Saturday: Long run (sometimes with rolling hills)
Sunday: REST!

Other than this basic run format, I also made sure to do core work everyday as well as foam rolling.  PT for my shoulder was 3x a week and I did hip/leg strength work on Tuesdays and Thursdays (think "pistol squats" ...my arch nemesis!).  I also try to do yoga a few times a week depending on my schedule--so good for my hips that get craaaazy tight at times. 

I had have issues on and off with my legs.  The accident pushed my hips out of alignment and I have work done biweekly to help treat the issues as well as help my body "straighten out" again.  The body does what it's supposed to do--when there is injury, other parts of your body start to compensate.  Now I'm trying to reverse this compensation...

I ended up peaking at about 55 miles a few weeks ago, and started to taper last week.  It blows my mind that the race is only a week away. To be honest, I am starting to get nervous. I'm starting to doubt my ability to run THAT far.  I'm starting to become afraid of the hills.  I'm starting to obsess with checking the weather report.

BUT when I think back on everything that has happened this year, my gratitude to be able to experience this race far outweighs my fears and insecurities about it.  I run out of enjoyment, and next Monday there will be "a smile on my face and a song in my heart" (LT swimming shout-out!) no matter what happens.  I will have FUN and be grateful for every fast, slow, hard, easy, hilly, down-hilly second of it ALL!

BOSTON HERE I COME!!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment