Wednesday, November 18, 2015

If You Want to Feel Out of Shape...

...try to run at 10,000 feet-about 2 miles-above sea level!

For many years I’ve said, “I’m not a runner…but I can run.”  Meaning: I don’t compete in running events, but I’m fairly fast for someone that doesn’t run a lot.  After I ran the marathon last month, I have officially started calling myself a runner (No, you don’t need to run a marathon to be considered a runner-this is just when I made the transition in my head). 

Since I believe it is easier to stay in shape rather than get terribly out of shape and then struggle to get back into shape, I try to maintain some level of fitness during my off-season.  I don’t plan to race in triathlons until 2016, but I know that it will be a “tough kick in the rear” come January if I don’t stay in shape (actually who am I kidding?!...it WILL be tough regardless, but maybe slightly less painful!).


This is what I REALLY  look and feel like after my races!


...and THIS  is at least an HOUR after the race! (Less "I'm going to puke" feeling) 
Here in Quito I have been running consistently almost every day (minus my sick week), but have had no specific pacing in mind.  Just going by feel. It is kind of nice not to have a Garmin watch commanding me to hit specific paces.  There is definitely a time/place for that when training, but right now I’m enjoying a break to relax from the grind.

In the states, I can run for a few hours at a slow pace without needing to pause or stop.  I might slow down while sipping some sport drink, but my body is not begging me to stop.  In Quito, after about 20 minutes I’m not exactly out of breath, but it’s like my muscles start to shut down with lack of oxygen!  It’s seriously the weirdest feeling…most similar to the “I’m really out of shape” feeling that I try so hard to avoid! I assumed that “easy running” would actually feel easy, but there is NO such thing as “easy running” at such a high elevation!

Most mornings I wake up at 5:45 to run for about 40 minutes around the school soccer field.  Then I do stairs for about 10 minutes.  On weekends, I go to the park and run around a 3 mile loop three or four times.  It is so beautiful and I love being around all the people and families at the park!  It is amazing to look at the beautiful backdrop of the mountains!  There is also one busy street that I run on a few times a week that goes up a very steep hill!

The soccer field I run around each morning!  Beautiful moutains in the background.

Stair climbing each morning after my run to try and build up my leg muscles (epecially since I'll be on a bike soon)!

 Usually when I run in FL I say:
            “Running in FL in the summer is basically commiting suicide”
BUT here in Quito I say:
            “Running up a hill at 10,000 ft. is basically commiting suicide”

(During my marathon I did not stop once!-even at aid stations (yes, Gatorade splashed all over my face since it’s hard to run and drink at the same time!), BUT HERE I have to stop at least 2 times running up this hill.  It is THAT. HARD.)
I guess sometimes it is good to enjoy a slice of “humble pie.”  I don’t mind the challenge, and it is kind of cool to see how my body has started to adapt!

No comments :

Post a Comment