Tuesday, February 16, 2016

In an Instant

Everything can change in an instant….Just a second….Or mere moment.

Have you ever experienced a situation that makes you remember how fragile life really is? 

Well, today, I had one of those experiences that make you step back for a second and thank God that His hand kept me alive and well. 

This was the second time in my life that a group of Firemen rescued me.  The first time happened a few years ago during Easter break while I was home from college. It was only my dad and I staying in the Chicago house that was going to be on the market soon.  I had driven up from Kentucky and he had flown up from FL, and we were ready to go to bed until the Carbon Monoxide alarm went off.  Naturally, dad assumed that it was simply an old battery, so he changed it and we went to bed. Around 11:30 pm the alarm went off again.  After doing research (because this is what dad does!), he told me that 9/10 times it is a “false alarm,” BUT if it goes off again he would call 911.  Starting to get just a little nervous that I might die in my sleep, I decided to keep my window open in my room (thinking it may or may not save me).  Well, the alarm went off again an hour later, so dad called 911 and told me, “I’ll let you know if we need to do anything,” so I went back to bed.  A few minutes later I was awakened by a group of firemen storming up the stairs pulling me from the bed. I’m in my PJs trying to get my shoes on while the firemen are yelling at me to get out of the house. They had detected carbon monoxide and we needed to evacuate the house.  We ended up spending the next 5 hours in the ambulance.  It was a long night, but we were glad to be safe.  The final advice the firemen gave to my dad: “call 911 THE FIRST time sir!” 

The one and only time I've been in an ambulance. 
Today I was driving to work the same way that I always do.  I got on the turnpike and drove 11 miles until the exit I get off at.  Same old..same old. It was raining hard this morning (with some tornadoes) but it was not raining at all when I left the house.  The roads were a little wet, but I didn’t think they were that bad at all.  The exit ramp I get off at is pretty straight, but you obviously have to veer to the right (not really a complete right turn, just going slightly right).  Well, as soon as I started to veer, I knew I had lost all traction, and my car was just sliding the direction it was veering.  It all happened so quickly, and I’m not really sure what happened.  I just remember sliding toward the guardrail and trying to keep from hitting it.  Somehow the car did a complete 180, missing the guardrail and ending up in the grass along the road.  The grassy area was slanted, and the car was middle.  Stunned, I got out of the car and got out my phone to call my mom.  As I was dialing her number, a fire tuck pulled over and a group of firemen came out.  They asked me what happened and if I was ok.  After talking with each other for a little bit, they decided that they would be able to push it back to the road.  Firemen are seriously heroes. They were successful and EVERYTHING is fine!  I am completely fine and my car is completely fine. I am so thankful-this could have gone way worse.  I could have crashed into the guardrail, a car could have been behind me and crashed into me.  The car could have flipped instead of just staying upright on the slanted hill. 

Today I am praising God that I am alive and well!



No comments :

Post a Comment